The Midas Touch
What does it take to be an entrepreneur, more importantly, a successful one?
What do successful entrepreneurs have in common that enable them to turn everything they touch into gold?
Who are better equipped talking about it, other than Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump, two of the most famous and influential entrepreneurs today?
In their latest book, “Midas Touch: Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich-And Why Most Don’t”, the hand is used as a metaphor for symbolizing the Midas Touch, or Golden Touch. The five fingers stand for the five key factors every serious entrepreneur must master.
Here they are:
- The Thumb: Strength of character. Without character Entrepreneurs cannot withstand the inevitable failures and disappointments that come with creating something out of nothing.
- Index Finger: F.O.C.U.S. Single-mindedness of purpose on the attainment of the entrepreneurial vision is what sets the successful entrepreneurs apart.
- Middle Finger: Brand. What you stand for and a willingness to share it with the world.
- Ring Finger: Relationships. Successful entrepreneurs surround themselves with great team and bring the best out of each person. They understand the greatest power of any enterprises is people power.
- Little Finger: Little things that count. It takes thousands of steps to get to that finish line for a marathon runner. Can you name one single step that is critical and leads to the ultimate success? NO! Every step contributes and counts!
How interesting! Out of all these key factors, it didn’t have any requirement for special talents! They didn’t mention that to succeed, you need a “rich dad”, or come from a wealthy family, or are in a great industry.
Meet Jeremy Lin. From outside, he is certainly not a NBA star material: played at Harvard, not best known for its basketball program; failed to be drafted by NBA after college; Cut by two NBA teams and on the verge of being released inNew York.
Does he have strength of character? You bet! With all the adversities, he practiced even harder and worked even longer hours to get better!
Does he have laser-focus? Yes. His mind is fixed on love of basketball and competing at the highest level of NBA games.
Does he have personal branding? Of course, he’s never shy about his faith and his dream and passion in basketball.
Does he have great relationships? Watch how he interacted with his team. For him it is all about team goal and how to unite into one team.
We have to the choice of what to focus on, don’t we?
Jeremy could choose to focus on why he failed so many times at his bids into NBA, whined and lived a miserable life. Instead, he chooses to ask a better question: “How can I really succeed?”
Together with all these quality in his hands, that’s when his true Midas Touch power begins to really shine!
The truth is, all we need is within us now. We all have this successful entrepreneur inside each of us. A lot of people are busy searching for magic success formula externally, and keep asking lousy questions such as “why did I always fail?” or “Did I start the business in the wrong economic times?”
We tend to forget we all have Midas Touch inside already. It’s the time to bring it out and let it shine, isn’t it?